Friday, October 18, 2013

New IVF news!

Maybe it's because I work with new moms and babies all night long, but once I got the IVF bug in my brain I had to get the information right away. I'm glad I did, because the IVF program at Ft. Bragg has cycles 4 times a year and the next one is in January. I called to get some information about it, and got myself put on the list for the cycle! This will give me time to still attempt the next IUI, and possibly even a third. I'm going to see what my current reproductive endocrinologist says about it before I decide to do a 3rd IUI.

I'm blessed being a military nurse in that I can take advantage of Ft. Bragg's IVF program. While it is expensive, most of the cost of the medications will be covered. Depending on what procedures we will need during the cycle (ICSI, assisted hatching, freezing embryos) it will cost anywhere from $5,500 to $10,000. I'm really hoping we won't need the assistance of ISCI or AH and it will be on the low end. It's a shame that most of the insurance companies in the U.S. don't cover fertility procedures like IUI and IVF. (Yes, I have to pay for IUI out of pocket too) It's even scarier that IVF done out in town (non-military) is probably close to double the amount I will have to pay, because the medications can cost close to $10,000 alone!

I started a savings account with Smarty Pig and made the goal $10,000. You need a $10.00 minimum to fund the goal, so that's where we're at! Haha not really, we do have some money saved but I haven't deposited it in there just yet. I've been thinking about ways to raise some extra money for the procedure, and sewing baby blankets has crossed my mind a few times. My friend and I sewed some blankets for a silent auction and one for our boss for her new baby. Everyone at work loved them and they are so soft! The ones in the picture are made from flannel. We also made matching pacifier clips with cute ribbon and snaps! What do you think?


No comments: