Thursday, November 21, 2013

Change of Plans

I went for my saline sonogram this week in preparation for IVF coming up in January, which caused a hefty change of plans! The Dr. found a polyp or fibroid in my uterus, and recommended having it removed before continuing with IVF. Actually, he suggested that I continue at least 3 more IUIs after it's removed, because it could be what's been preventing me from getting pregnant for the last couple years after my miscarriages.

Interesting that regular ultrasounds and even the HSG dye procedure did not see it in there. The saline sonogram was honestly a quick and painless procedure, I wish I had gotten it much sooner. Things like this are what frustrate me, I could have handled this problem so much sooner. The Dr. apologized for giving me the bad news, but I ended up telling him it was bittersweet because at this point bad news is better than no news. At least I've finally found something I can act on.

I'm going to need a hysteroscopy, and removal technique will depend on if they find a polyp or fibroid. From what I can tell, a polyp would be a better deal since it's just an overgrowth of the outer endometrium. A fibroid, on the other hand, can be from deep inside the muscle and require a bit more work and can complicate future pregnancies as the uterine wall could be weakened. I'm crossing my fingers that it's a polyp.

On a completely unrelated note, my Vitamin D levels were very low. I take a prenatal every day that includes Vitamin D, so it was a little surprising. It could have something to do with the fact that I work nights. I looked into extra Vitamin D supplementation, or possibly going to a tanning salon a few times a month. I'll need to find out if the beds around here radiate UVB, which is what prompts production of Vitamin D.

No comments: